Wednesday 22 August 2018

From Ireland to Aotearoa - Honouring the Reo



A reflection by Mairead Gallagher-Pile, teacher St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School Pukekohe

Having moved to New Zealand nearly ten years ago now from the Emerald Isle of Ireland, I noticed many parallels between both Christian countries, which made me feel quite at home.

I took a teaching job in a Catholic primary school in Wellington and felt a real affinity with the school's special character. I particularly enjoyed the waiata for kapa haka and school masses. Interestingly, many of the waiata sung in kapa haka were religious songs. This seemed to me quite fitting since I had learnt that the first book translated to Te Reo was the Bible and the early missionary settlers in Aotearoa really advocated for Māori.

I also learnt about the Treaty of Waitangi and its principles of partnership and active protection. I really feel that encompassing Te Reo in our Church and school liturgies is honouring these principles. Coming from a country, Ireland, which fought so hard for centuries to uphold its language and culture - Gaelic - it makes absolute sense to me that acknowledgement of the language of the land should be a key principle in our prayer and worship. St Patrick's Day mass is celebrated in Gaelic in many parishes of Ireland each year.

When planning school liturgies and masses here in NZ, I would always make sure to incorporate at least one Māori waiata, greeting and prayer. If I didn't, I would have felt the celebration was just a little less rich and I would have regretted a missed opportunity.

I also particularly enjoy the opportunity to do a complete Māori mass where students practise all responses in Te Reo. It instils pride in them for this beautiful Taonga given to them from their Tangata Whenua.


No comments:

Post a Comment